(From: The Weapons of Snow & Steel):

The Russian Maxim was a water cooled belt fed heavy machine gun used by both the Russian and Soviet armies. It was adopted in 1910 and was a variant of Hiram Maxim’s Maxim gun chambered for the standard Russian rifle ammunition. The M1910 was normally mounted on a cumbersome wheeled mount with a bullet shield, although there were some rare light tripod mounts that were made as well as various naval and aircrafts mounts. With the heavy wheeled Sokolov mount, the weapon tipped the scaled at 139 pounds, though without the mount it was considerably lighter. It was recoil operated, and fired at 600 rounds per minute off of 250 round belts.
Previous           Next