Downloading and Installing the Trajectory Plot Program
Trajectory plot is distributed as a zip file or as a self extracting zip.
I have recently upgraded to Windows XP for development of this program. I have seen some
problems trying to run earlier versions of Trajectory Plot (V2.4 and earlier) on W2000 machines
and later. All future upgrades
will only be to the XP platform - I do not know if these updates will work on the older
platforms. As such, I will keep a copy of Trajectory Plot V2.4 that was built on and
for the Windows 95/98 platform and make it available through this website.
- To install the zip file:
- click on the .zip download link (
for W95/98) and save the file on your computer.
Since the next steps will extract a number of files from the zip package, and
after installation you will be able to remove these temporary files, it is
recommended that you create a temporary directory to store the zip file in.
- Using WinZip, or some similar
package, extract all the files into the temporary directory
- To use the self extracting zip:
- click on the .exe download link (
for W95/98) and save the file on your computer
to a temporary directory.
- Using "Start" - "Run" from the Windows Start menu, browse to the temporary
directory and select "Trajectory_xp.exe" ("Trajectory_w95" for W95/98). This will automatically create and expand all the files
into the temporary directory "C:\usr\install\temp\Trajectory".
- Using "Start" - "Run" from the Windows menu bar, browse to the temporary
directory and select "setup.exe" (or using Windows Explorer, double click on
the "setup.exe" filename).
- The setup wizard will guide you through your installation. It is
recommended that you accept the default locations suggested by the wizard, only
because all combinations of other settings have not been verified.
- "Trajectory" will now appear in your Start-menu.
- Give it a spin.
- You may now remove your zip file and all the temporary files created in
step 2 above.
Version 2.1 adds some convenience features for registered users. In particular it now saves
most of the settings for each of the program and window parameters. For non-registered
users, there are just a few minor bug fixes for uninitialized variables in Windows98.
Version 2.2 and 2.3 fix a few bugs associated with window placement.
Version 2.5 is 2.4 simply rebuilt on the Windows XP Pro platform.
Version 2.6 is a rebuild for Windows 7. In particular, the program creates a file to remember
registered user information. In previous versions this file had a ".reg" suffix. Windows 7
now views all such files a registry files and limits access to such. This version changes the
file to a ".txt" file to avoid Windows 7 issues.
- Version 2.4 (and earlier) were built and intended for W95/98 machines. These versions were known
to not run properly on W2000 boxes. Version 2.5 (and later) are built on Windows XP. It is not known
if these will run on older machines as well.
- Occasionally during installation Windows reports an error that reads:
An access violation occurred while copying the file"
This means that you already have the file on your system and it is currently in
use by another application (perhaps the installation program itself). If you get this, simply
click "Ignore" and the installation should continue and complete successfully.
- Windows 7 treats all files with the ".reg" suffix as registry files and controls access
to these. Versions earlier than 2.6 used ".reg" as a registration file. This had to be changed
to a ".txt" file to run under Windows 7.
Back to my Home Page.